In April 2018, SAJIDA launched the “WASH4UrbanPoor” project in collaboration with WaterAid with the aim to address the challenges and WASH requirements for under-served communities in the Dhaka South City Corporation (DSCC). This project seeks to ensure improved environmental health and resilience of WASH for deprived urban poor living in slums and low-income settlements. Funded by the Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA), the project is scheduled to run till December 2022 and is interlinked with the SDG Goal 6 – Aims to achieve universal, sustainable and equitable access to safe drinking water, sanitation and hygiene by 2030.
Major activities of the project are:
- Increase awareness raising and provision of climate resilient WASH services to address needs among target communities;
- Improve local governance in pro-poor WASH service delivery and coordination with other services in target cities and towns;
- Evidence based advocacy to improve WASH policies and strategies in favour of urban poor.
Besides specific activities, SAJIDA Foundation is partnering with Dhaka Water Supply and Sewerage Authority (DWASA), City Corporation and other service providers to ensure safe water for these underprivileged people by warranting legal access to water facilities. Additionally, ensuring easy access of pavement dwellers to these WASH services is another key objective of the project.
Public Sanitation Services
Strengthening Public Sanitation Services in Bangladesh project mainly initiated for ensuring hygienic sanitation facility for city dwellers. It also addressed that hygiene awareness a major component for ensuring sound health of public toilet users. Series of mass hygiene awareness events and messages are disseminated in operational public toilet areas. Formation of a strong management committee against all public toilet with involvement of Local Elected body. City Corporation and DWASA added value to ensure sustainability of these public toilets.
Goal & Objectives
Project Goal: Ensures improved public sanitation services in Dhaka city through standardize operation and management, enhance the capacity of the local government institutions as well as awareness raisings of the mass people & Influence and empower to bring the expected change among city dwellers to promote hygienic behavior.
1. To develop, demonstrate and set-up a sustainable business model of operation and management of public sanitation services.
2. To advocate for further scale-up of public sanitation services in the country.
3. To create nationwide public awareness and consciousness of public sanitation.
4. Ensure quality of services with high level of users satisfaction thought close monitoring by the dedicated staff.
5. Keep regular and professional relationship with public toilet management committee.
Interventions areas (What we do, Locality)
Working Location: Seven public toilet in DSCC ,3 wards (13,20,48)
• Public toilet management committee formation/ reformation
• Ensure Safe sanitation Facility.
• Ensure safe water Facility in public toilet.
• Ensure quality of service by the dedicated staff.
• Reduce public toilet operation and maintenance cost.
• Day observation event and campaign.
• Meeting with MC.
• Maintain every attendance of us toilet.
• Conduct of job coaching for enhancing capacity of the toilet attendants on cleanliness, customer relations, gender and equity.
• Hygiene Messages display.
• Ensure payment of water, sewerage and electricity bill in due time.
• Increase public toilet regular income day by day with proper monitoring.